Who must have a Mastopexy (Breast Lift)?
Those who have sagging breast problem due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight gain and loss or structural reasons are eligible candidates for breast lift.
Pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight gain and loss as well as aging lead to sagging in the breast structure. Such significant losses in breast volume may make women unhappy. Breast lift is a surgical procedure performed to lift the sagging breasts for positioning them as in the past.
Breast lift surgery is performed on those who have structurally sagging breasts, those with big and sagging breasts, those whose breasts have sagged after getting empty in consequence of giving birth to a child and breastfeeding, those whose breasts have sagged after excessive weight loss, and those with sagging breasts due to old age.
The patient and surgeon take a surgical decision in such a way as to ensure the best result. The nipple and sagging breast tissue can be reshaped. The nipple is brought to a proper position, and the excess skin is removed.
There is no scar-free breast lift procedure. Scars may occur in various shapes, depending on the sagging of the breasts. These scars are initially noticeable but they become hardly noticeable in the course of time. If an implant is used during breast lift, the scar is concealed in the areola (brownish area of around the nipple), and in the junction area of the areola and the white breast skin.
At what ages is breast lift performed?
Breast lift surgery is mostly performed on middle-aged patients who have given birth. Young patients who have structurally sagging breasts can also have a breast lift surgery. Patients with tubular breast deformities, popularly known also as goat's breast, can be operated at very early ages. This disorder is a congenital condition and is usually noticed from ages 13-14, when the breasts begin to grow.
What are experienced after breast lift surgery?
- The patient can be discharged 5-6 hours after surgery.
- The wound is controlled during the dressing process carried out 2 days after surgery.
- In the early postoperative periods, swelling and numbness are observed in the nipple.
- The patient can return to her business life 3-4 days after surgery.
- After 1 week, the bandage is removed.
- The patient wears an athletic bra for 6 weeks.
- The patient is advised to abstain from heavy sports activities for a period of 3 months.
- There is no scar-free breast lift procedure, and scars that remain are in shapes varying depending on the degree of the sagging. These scars become hardly noticeable in the course of time.