Who must have a breast reduction surgery?
Women over 18 years old with big and sagging breasts are suitable candidates for breast reduction and breast lift (mastopexy) operations.
Breast reduction operations are procedures performed for both aesthetic and health purposes. It is the most common aesthetic operation in our country. It is considered to be an aesthetic operation; however, it is actually a health problem that may cause unbearable neck, back and low back pains and even dropped shoulders.
The effect of gravity, rapid weight gain and loss, or pregnancy causes both sagging and deformation in the breasts. Having big and sagging breasts can be a problem affecting the social, physical and personal lives of the patient. Women with big breasts (and particularly young women) change their walking style and prefer wearing loose fit clothing to conceal their body.
Surgical scars differ depending on the size of the patient's breasts and the surgical technique. Depending on the breast size and the degree of sagging, the surgery remains a scar around the areola that extends vertically down to the inframammary fold (in the shape of a lollipop), or a horizontal incision along the inframammary fold that is connected to the areola (inverted T-shaped scar). The length of the scar varies depending on the breast size and the degree of sagging as well as the elasticity of the patient's skin. In the course of time, all of the scars become indistinct and hardly noticeable.
How is the degree of the breast's smallness determined?
Women with big breasts may request reduction even more than normal, due to the problems they suffer. Breast has an important position in female body. Therefore, the decision should be made in such a way as to ensure the breasts to look proportionate to your body.
How is the degree of the breast's bigness determined?
- Patients are usually discharges 5-6 hours after breast reduction surgery.
- The patient can take a bath two days after surgery.
- After 3 days, the postoperative checks are performed, and the patient can start working and doing her daily activities.
- After breast reduction surgery, the patient should abstain from doing exercises other than walking for a period of 3 weeks.
- She can do all sports activities other than those which move the arms and breasts. After the sixth week, she can freely do all kinds of sports activities.
- The breasts take their final shape in the 3rd postoperative month.